In about 1930 the Nottingham craftsman Roger Yates built a high-quality 28-stop 2-manual organ for a private residence.
In 1949 this was rebuilt in the church of St John the Evangelist, Carrington, Nottingham, where–in a fine acoustic–it won a high reputation. Restored and improved in 1991 by Wood of Huddersfield, it was in 2009 removed to a new west gallery, fitted with a colourful new case, new building-frame, swell-box and wind system.
Tonal improvement resulted in full flue and reed choruses. Its striking effect in the church demonstrates the great advantages of a west-end position.