A fine Bodley church with a three-manual organ by Bishop & Son built in 1876, incorporating parts of the 1779 Samuel Green organ from Bangor Cathedral. Heavily altered and spoiled in the 1930s, the organ became unplayable, partly as a result of poor-quality workmanship in the previous rebuild.
A scope of work was set to restore the instrument back towards its 1870s state, although the approach was not slavish, as some components had been lost. New mechanical action was constructed for the Swell Organ which had been converted to pneumatic action, although the other manuals had retained mechanical transmission. The project included the successful restoration and repatriation of an eighteenth-century Green-style chimney flute into the specification, where it sits happily with the older pipework.
Finance was provided by a trust fund which required detailed evaluation of the need to restore the organ, its historicity, a thorough procurement process, assessment of work done and supervision of the payment schedule.