St John's Church


St John's church, Notting Hill

St John’s church, built in 1845, was furnished with an organ made by the Gray brothers in 1794. Moved by Bishop to the Lady chapel in 1873 and enlarged by Hele in 1885, the listed instrument retained unusual mechanism and excellent tonal quality but, entombed by masonry, was ineffective in the nave.

Guided by an AIOA adviser who also supplied acoustic advice, the organ has been restored and moved to a freestanding position in the north transept, speaking over a new wood floor, replacing carpet. The new oak case is surmounted by an eagle sculpture in tin metal, matching the front pipes.