St Mary Redcliffe


St Mary Redcliffe

This famous four-manual high-Romantic organ by Harrison & Harrison Ltd dates from 1912.

The instrument suffered from shortage of wind; once the organ had been running for three hours the symptoms were manifest in acute dryness on the north side of the organ’s pipework and mechanisms, but severe dampness on the south side. Investigation into the instrument’s wind system was required and new blowers were provided and calculations undertaken to provide an ample volume of very high-pressure wind.

An AIOA advisor oversaw the project, through procurement, replacement of various older components and manufacture of new ones, through to the detail of the tonal finishing on site, which was undertaken to an exceptionally high standard.